Objectives of CRE
– Establish a shared understanding of the need for creating a sustained culturally relevant, school-wide, college-going culture for Black and Latino young men in grades 9-12.
– Discuss varied definition of a college-going culture that is also culturally responsive.
– Model inquiry oriented stances and engage in culturally responsive activities to build on individual and shared experiences.
– Support the creation and/or further development of existing action plans to increase college readiness for Black and Latino young men in your school context.
College Ready Book Features:
- Important research findings of a four-year study in a public high school with critical reflection questions.
- Links between culturally relevant pedagogy and college readiness and access.
- “Teacher Responses” that connect the contents of each chapter to the author’s experience working with youth.
- “Reading in Action” sections for professional development with individuals, small groups of educators, and whole school communities.